One of the most common mistakes for companies embarking on a social media campaign is to jump straight into what they want to do before being really clear about why they are doing it.
But, unless you know what you are trying to achieve, how will you know when you have succeeded?
A good social media campaign always begins with a strategy that clearly articulates why you are using social media, who you are targeting and what outcomes you would like to achieve.
Your social media strategy does not need to be a detailed plan – this comes later – but it should set out your key objectives. You need to start with a clear understanding of who your customers are and where they are. This will help you to determine which social media platforms are the best ones for you to use.
It is easy to become overwhelmed with social media so a clear strategy will help you to avoid this and to remain targeted, efficient and focused.
Our top five tips for creating a social media strategy are
- Take a look at what your competitors are doing. Whether you are keen on social media or not, it is likely that your competitors will be using it to a greater or lesser degree. It is useful to see where they are and what they are doing.
- It can be helpful to set out your objectives using SMART methodology. This stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound. Think about a few goals for each and how social media could help you to achieve them.
- Research the different platforms. It can be helpful to talk to a specialist social media company to help you determine which platform would be most appropriate to reach your target audience.
- Remember that social media is about building relationships and having conversations not about a hard-sell. Get to know the style and tone of social media conversations so you can create your own appropriate content.
- Make it easy. Initial enthusiasm for social media can quickly wain if it is too difficult or time-consuming to do regularly. Have a plan, know what you are going to be doing when and stick to it.
If you need any advice just get in touch on 01530 440597!